The Development Services Department is composed of the Building Division, the Coastal Resources Division, Economic Development, and the Planning & Development Division. Click here to view the Development Services Organizational Chart (PDF).
- Building Division - The Building Division processes building, electrical, air conditioning, and other permits. Staff monitors activities to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local guidelines and ordinances. Need to schedule an inspection?
- Coastal Resources Division - The Coastal Resources Division oversees implementation of the City of Galveston Dune Protection and Beach Access Plan. Staff in this division oversee projects related to shoreline protection and beach nourishment, and assist property owners in navigating the City's beachfront construction standards for construction along the coast.
- Economic Development - The City of Galveston is focused on expanding business opportunities, upgrading infrastructure, strengthening neighborhoods, and celebrating Galveston Island as a TOP destination in the state.
- Planning & Development Division - The planning team is responsible for reviewing all development and redevelopment of land, facilities, and amenities on the island. These projects are regulated by specific standards listed in the Land Development Regulations of 2015. Staff is also involved in long-term planning efforts outlined in the 2011 Comprehensive Plan. Ultimately, city planners identify strategies and establish policies to guide development projects and manage population growth.
- Historic Preservation - The program focuses on promoting the community's vision for sustainable preservation by guiding appropriate stewardship of historic resources and compatible redevelopment in locally-designated historic districts. For details, please refer to the Design Standards for Historic Properties.
Pre-development meetings take place every other Friday at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00AM by appointment. At the meeting, you will be provided general information regarding the City of Galveston’s development process, contact information, applicable codes, applications, and fees. The staff members present will review the project and provide preliminary comments. To schedule a meeting, please fill out the meeting request form and contact Karen White at (409) 797-3608 or email@example.com.