Energy Code Compliance Notice
Effective December 1, 2018:
The City of Galveston anticipates adopting the 2018 IRC and the 2018 IECC second quarter of 2019, along with the remaining 2018 International Codes. Until that date of adoption, and in order to better serve the residential development community, we are providing a State Energy Systems Laboratory recognized compliance path and certification forms to be completed for all single family and low-rise multifamily construction projects submitted on or after December 1, 2018. The city will continue to perform energy related inspections for construction after December 1st only for construction permitted prior to the date. Click here to view the full press release.
- Texas Law, Ch. 388, Subtitle C, Title 5, Health and Safety Code (PDF)
- Galveston Energy Compliance Forms (PDF)
Effective August 1, 2018:
To request an inspection: Please call 409-797-3666 with the property address, type of inspection and permit number. Inspections requested before 7:00 AM will be put on the schedule for the same day. Any inspection request received after 7:00 AM will automatically be scheduled for the following day.
- All inspections will only be available online or via the aforementioned phone number.
- For new residential construction and additions, all construction trades are required to be complete and scheduled simultaneously for rough-in and final inspections.
For more information, please visit the Inspections & Inspectors page.
Permitting and Plan Review
The Building Inspection Division processes building, electrical, air conditioning, and miscellaneous permits. Division staff monitors activities to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local guidelines and ordinances.
When a Building Permit is Required
You need a permit for the following:
- Building an all-new structure commercial or residential.
- Adding rooms, decks, porches, or accessory buildings.
- Block the sidewalk, parking lane, etc. temporarily with a construction dumpster, temporary fence, machinery, debris, etc.
- Building or modifying a deck
- Building or modifying a sign
- Building or replacing a fence
- Building retaining walls over 4 feet in height measured from bottom of the footing to top of the wall
- Constructing new driveway (for other applicable regulations, visit the Public Works Department and the Coastal Resources Division)
- Food establishments (new or altered) require additional permit for grease traps
- Installing new siding
- Place any fill on a property (requires drainage plan)
- Replacing a roof, or portions of a roof
- Replacing an electric stove with a gas model
When in doubt, check with the Building Division at (409) 797-3660. Construction without a permit will result in double or triple permit fees, and may result in corrective action through Municipal Court.
Please view the list of downloadable applications and fee schedule.