Civil Service Exams
The Galveston Police Department Is Hiring Law Enforcement Officers!
A Civil Service Exam will be held on Monday, April 8, 2019. The Exam will be administered at the Galveston Island Convention Center located at 5600 Seawall Boulevard in Galveston.
Candidates MUST register for the Exam using the Registration Form below to guarantee a seat. No other form of registration is available. However, the City will accept walk-ins on the day of the exam if seats are available.
Please arrive no later than 8:30 a.m. to present your identification and sign in for the exam. Be sure to read all the information below regarding minimum requirements, details about the exam, and what happens after the exam including the physical agility test and the application process.
This information details what you need to know to answer the call to serve the Galveston community today!
You MUST meet the following minimum requirements in order to be eligible to take the Civil Service Exam and apply for a position with the Galveston Police Department:
- Must be a High School Graduate OR have attained a GED AND 12 credit hours from an accredited college or university
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must not be prohibited by State or Federal law from operating a motor vehicle
- Must not be prohibited by State or Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition
- Be in good physical and mental condition
- Must not have any felony convictions
- Must have never been convicted of a Family Violence Offense
- Must have never been convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor
- Must have not been convicted of a Class B Misdemeanor in the last 10 years
- Must have never been discharged from the military with less than an Honorable Discharge
Information About the Exam
The exam will be held on Monday, April 8, 2019 promptly at 9 a.m. at the Galveston Island Convention Center located at 5600 Seawall Boulevard in Galveston. The Exam will take place in Ballroom A on the second floor of the Convention Center.
A two-story parking garage is located directly below the Convention Center with ample parking spaces. There are two entrances – one along 57th Street and another from the Hilton Galveston Island Resort Hotel parking lot.
Registered participants will need to arrive no later than 8:15 a.m. to present identification and sign in for the exam. You will need to present your valid photo identification and be prepared to provide your social security number.
Participants should plan for the test to take up to three (3) hours.
Those participants who pass the test will be required to take a physical agility test following the exam. Please bring appropriate attire.
We are now offering study materials online via the link below.
Link to study materials: https://secure1.cpshr.us/crcv/Default.aspx?ID=SOP48575
Costs for Study Materials:
- Candidate Preparation Manuals – $5.00
- Includes detailed recommendations on important concepts such as the most effective test-taking strategies and methods, specific information about CPS HR test forms, and what to expect on the day of the test administration. Also includes several practice questions covering each section of the test along with helpful tools like a sample answer sheet and template test instructions for candidates to prepare before the day of the test.
- Practice Tests – $15.00
- Simulates full-length versions of CPS HR tests and have been designed to replicate the look and feel of test-day material. Contains practice items across the same sections contained in our test forms. When candidates have completed the online practice exam, they will receive a breakdown of their scores by section. (Candidates will not receive a list of the questions and answers.) In addition, candidates can re-take the exam one additional time at no cost.
If you have questions about how to access the study materials, contact CPS HR Consulting directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 916.471.3538.
AFTER THE EXAM
- You will submit a Personal History Statement and required documents
- A Background Investigation will commence
- Applicants may be subject to a Polygraph Exam if the assigned Background Investigator finds that an applicant has been deceptive during the Background Investigation
- Interview with Chief / Conditional Offer of Employment
- Physical (Medical) Screening
- Psychological Evaluation
- Galveston Police Department In-Service Academy
- Sworn as a Police Officer with the Galveston Police Department
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE CITY OF GALVESTON POLICE DEPARTMENT!