Galveston, TX – April 22, 2019 – The DIVAS Half Marathon and 5K is back this Sunday!
The 13.1-mile course starts and finishes at Moody Gardens, but there will be road and lane closures in the area for you to be aware of so you can plan accordingly.
The half marathon will begin at 6:35 a.m. and the 5K will follow at 6:50 a.m. There will be rolling road closures, meaning traffic will be affected for a short period before the first runners enter the section and end when the last runner leaves that section. The City of Galveston Police will reopen the roads by 11:00 a.m. when the half marathon officially closes.
The following roads will be affected by the half marathon route during the designated times as stated below:
- Moody Gardens: Closed in some areas and limited traffic from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Parking will be available inside Moody Gardens.
- Lockheed Dr. (between Hope Blvd and Pipe St) southbound lanes closed from 6:25 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- 83rd St (between Piper St. & Stewart Rd) southbound lane closed from 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Local traffic to use northbound lane.
- 83rd St (between Stewart Rd and Seawall Blvd) southbound lane closed from 6:35 a.m. to 7:10 a.m.
- Seawall Blvd (between Cove View Blvd and 63rd St) lane closure of the eastbound lane will take place from 6:45 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Eastbound traffic will be restricted to one lane. Westbound traffic will not be affected except for possible delays at the intersection of Seawall Blvd and 83rd St from 6:40 a.m. to 7:05 a.m. and the intersection of Seawall Blvd and Cove View Blvd from 7:10 a.m. to 8:20 a.m.
- Cove View Blvd (between Seawall Blvd and Stewart Rd) northbound curbside lane closed from 7:10 a.m. to 8:35 a.m. Local traffic will have access.
- Steward Rd (between Cove View Blvd and 99th St.) westbound curbside lane will be closed from 7:10 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. Westbound traffic will travel using the center lane. Eastbound lane will be open. However, the intersection of Stewart Rd and Cove View Blvd will experience some delays from 7:15 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. for runners crossing the intersection.
- Steward Rd (between 99th St and 83rd St) westbound curbside lane will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to 9:50 a.m.
- 99st (From Stewart Rd to Schaper Rd) southbound lane closed from 7:15 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. Traffic will travel on the northbound lane. Police will direct the flow of traffic in each direction.
- 99th St (from Sunset Circle to Schaper Rd) runners will use the sidewalk and part of the southbound lane from 7:25 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
We ask residents and businesses to follow the detours and plan an earlier start during those times to avoid delays and for safety purposes. We also ask residents to contact email@example.com with any questions.
Please visit the Divas® Half Marathon & 5K Series website at www.runlikeadiva.com for more information.