View all facilities

Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church

Facts
  • Organized in 1876 as an extension of Avenue L Missionary Baptist Church.
  • Original structure was destroyed in the 1900 Storm and rebuilt in 1922. The present sanctuary was completed in 1969.
  • The architect of the older sanctuary was W.S. Murdock. Murdock was a Galveston architect who was active in the early 20th Century.
  • John S. Chase designed the new sanctuary. Chase was the first African-American licensed to practice architecture in the state of Texas.
  • The Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church has been an established feature of the neighborhood since its construction in 1922.