City of Galveston Dune Protection and Beach Access Plan
Click here to download a copy of the Certified plan: City of Galveston Dune Protection and Beach Access Plan (Ord. 19-012)
Beach Access and Dune Protection Plan Review Ad Hoc Committee
City Council adopted Resolution 18-024 (PDF) on May 24, 2018, establishing the Beach Access and Dune Protection Plan Review Committee.
The mission of this committee is to review the City’s Beach Access and Dune Protection Plan and to provide recommendations of possible amendments to the plan to the Planning Commission and City Council.
Ad Hoc Committee Website
More information about the Ad Hoc Committee can be found here: Beach & Ad Hoc Committee
Erosion Response Plan (ERP)
On April 12, 2012, City Council adopted the Erosion Response Plan (ERP) as an appendix to the City’s Dune Protection and Beach Access Plan.
Purpose of ERP
- Reduce public expenditures for erosion and storm damage losses to public and private property, including public beaches;
- Ensure the health and stability of existing dune systems and dune vegetation;
- Encourage the natural recovery of dunes and beaches following storm-induced erosion;
- Provide for the establishment of new dunes through restoration projects; and
- Allow for the landward migration of beaches and dunes due to erosion.
Link to download the ERP:
An online resource for information about the important functions of dunes and strategies on improving dune restoration success, made available by The Crawford Lab at the University of Houston. (Link to Website)