NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
WATER METER LEAD TIME
The lead times for the installation of water meters has changed due to an increase in lead time by the city’s distributor of water meters. Please take this into consideration when managing your project.
The new lead times are as follows:
Current Meter Lead Time
1.5" - 2"
3" - 8"
Submitting a building permit application?
The Building Division is located at 3015 Market. Please submit building permit applications, contractor registrations, and inspection requests online using the ePortal. Swimming pool permit applications can be submitted via email. ePortal user guides are available on the Applications, Fees, and FAQs page.
Submitting an application to Coastal Resources or Planning?
The Coastal Resources and Planning Divisions are located at 3015 Market. Application forms are available on the Applications, Fees, and FAQs page and can be submitted via email or in-person.
The Building Division processes building, electrical, and air conditioning permits, among others. Staff monitor activities to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local guidelines and ordinances.
ePortal User Guides
- Registering for an Online Account (PDF)
- Paying for a Permit (PDF)
- Scheduling an Inspection (PDF)
- Checking the Status of a Permit (PDF)
- Scheduling an Inspection (Video)
- Registering for an Online Account (Video)
- Applying for a Building Permit (Video)
Inspections are required to be scheduled online. Inspections requested before 7:00AM will be put on the schedule for the same day. Any inspection request received after 7:00AM will automatically be scheduled for the following day.
- All inspections will only be available online or via the aforementioned phone number.
- For new residential construction and additions, all construction trades are required to be complete and scheduled simultaneously for rough-in and final inspections.
Please be aware that permits and an address must be visible from the street for all inspections. Additionally, an approved set of plans is required on all job sites for inspections.
Permitting & Plan Review
The Building Division does not accept applications via email. You may submit an application in person or online through the e-permitting website.
When in doubt, check with the Building Division at (409) 797-3620. Construction without a permit will result in double or triple permit fees, and may result in corrective action through Municipal Court.
People also view:
- Applications, Fees, and FAQs
- City of Galveston Code of Ordinances
- Commercial Handbook Checklist 2015
- Work Exempt from Permit Requirements
Map of Building Permits
To register with the City of Galveston, you will need the following:
- $200 registration fee and $25 annual fee.
- Insurance and bonding information must be current.
- Liability insurance with a $300,000 minimum showing the City of Galveston as an additional insured and certificate holder.
- Surety bonds with a $25,000 minimum. Bonds must be original. Building and electrical contractors are required to have a surety bond with the obligee being "City of Galveston or assignee." HVAC contractors do not require a surety bond to register with the City of Galveston.
- Energy technicians are required to register with the City of Galveston. There is a separate application which can be found below.
Please be aware that it is your responsibility, as the contractor, to call for required inspections.
Engineering is required on all structural projects within the City of Galveston. While we recommend that you use someone from Galveston County due to their familiarity with the area, you are free to use whomever you want.
Energy Code Compliance
Effective December 1, 2018, the City of Galveston anticipates adopting the 2018 IRC and the 2018 IECC second quarter of 2019, along with the remaining 2018 International Codes. Until that date of adoption, and in order to better serve the residential development community, we are providing a State Energy Systems Laboratory recognized compliance path and certification forms to be completed for all single family and low-rise multifamily construction projects submitted on or after December 1, 2018. The city will continue to perform energy related inspections for construction after December 1st only for construction permitted prior to the date. Click here to view the full press release. Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance Energy Code Compliance
- Texas Law, Ch. 388, Subtitle C, Title 5, Health and Safety Code (PDF)
- Galveston Energy Compliance Forms (PDF)
- Building Code Resources
- FEMA Flood Maps
- FEMA Flood Damage Resistant Materials Requirements
- Fillable Elevation Certificate
Building Board of Adjustments & Appeals
The City of Galveston’s Building Board of Adjustments and Appeals meets on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 9:00AM in City Council Chambers. The public and building contractors are invited to attend and participate. In order to have your plea heard, you will need to submit a completed application to the Development Services Department. For more information, email David Ewald or call (409) 797-3620.
At this time, pre-development meetings take place via conference call every other Wednesday at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00AM. At the meeting, you will be provided general information regarding the City of Galveston’s development process, contact information, applicable codes, applications, and fees. To schedule a meeting, please send a meeting request form, business plan, and list of preliminary questions to Patrick Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-construction meetings are designed to address potential areas of concern that could affect construction after a permit has been issued. The goal is to give contractors an idea of what to expect from the City during construction so as to reduce any confusion between them and staff. Pre-construction meetings will be mandatory prior to the issuance of a commercial building permit and highly encouraged prior to the issuance of a residential building permit. Pre-construction meetings will be available on Thursdays at 9:00, 10:00, or 11:00 a.m. by appointment. Please contact (409) 797-3620 to schedule a meeting.