The City of Galveston is committed to deterring fraud, abuse, and waste. Our City Auditor’s Office has established a hotline that may be accessed by calling 409-797-3692. An automated answering service will be available 24 hours a day - 7 days a week. Callers may remain anonymous.
“Fraud” means the intentional deception or false representation perpetrated onto a local government that could result in detriment to that local government.
“Abuse” means the excessive or improper use of resources owned or operated by a locality.
“Waste” means the intentional or unintentional squandering of resources owned or operated by a locality to the detriment of that locality. Waste also includes incurring unnecessary costs because of inefficient or ineffective practices.
Examples of Reportable Incidents:
- Theft or misappropriation of city resources
- Offering or accepting bribes
- Inappropriate use of city owned vehicles, equipment, or supplies
- Improper spending of city tax dollars
- Violations of city procurement policies and/or contracts
- Improper use of city funds
- Manipulation of city policies and procedures for personal gain
- Falsification of official documents
- Describe the circumstances that you believe represent fraud, abuse, or waste
- Describe the date or dates on which these circumstances occurred
- Describe the location or locations at which these circumstances occurred
- Name the individual(s) who you believe acted wrongly or inappropriately
- Name the city department where these individual(s) work