Planning & Development Division
The Planning & Development Division is responsible for numerous projects which include, but are not limited to:
- Current Planning - Reviewing applications for abandonments, Licenses to Use (LTUs), Planned Unit Developments (PUDs), replats, subdivisions, zoning district and text amendments, variance requests, Specific Use Permits (SUPs), etc.
- Zoning - Classifying land in order to responsibly guide the development of land. These classifications, or districts, include additional land regulations in terms of height, setbacks, landscaping, and more.
- Land Development Regulations (LDRs) - Adhering to standards for the orderly development and redevelopment of land and associated public infrastructure, facilities, and amenities in accordance with the "2011 Comprehensive Plan."
- Historic Preservation - Promoting the community's vision for sustainable preservation by guiding appropriate stewardship of historic resources and compatible redevelopment in locally-designated historic districts. For details, please refer to the "Design Standards for Historic Properties."
- Boards & Commissions - Staffing the Landmark Commission, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and various committees.
- Concessionaires & Special Event Vending - Permitting for food, shaved ice, frozen novelties, and peddler vending, as well as beach rentals, coin-operated machines, pawnbrokers, junk and secondhand dealers, hotels/motels, rooming houses/bed and breakfasts, and temporary parking lots.
Pre-development meetings take place every other Friday at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00AM by appointment. At the meeting, you will be provided general information regarding the City of Galveston’s development process, contact information, applicable codes, applications, and fees. The staff members present will review the project and provide preliminary comments. To schedule a meeting, please fill out the meeting request form and contact Karen White at (409) 797-3608 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the map below to find out what a property is zoned. More information about each zoning district is available in the Article 3 Addendums and "Land Development Regulations" below.