The Planning & Development Division is responsible for numerous projects which include, but are not limited to:
- Current Planning - Reviewing applications for abandonments, Licenses to Use (LTUs), Planned Unit Developments (PUDs), replats, zoning district and text amendments, variances, and more. Also, permitting for concessionaires and special event vending.
- Zoning - Classifying land in order to responsibly guide the development of land. These classifications, or districts, include additional land regulations in terms of height, setbacks, landscaping, and more.
- Land Development Regulations (LDRs) - Adhering to standards for the orderly development and redevelopment of land and associated public infrastructure, facilities, and amenities in accordance with the "2011 Comprehensive Plan."
- Historic Preservation - Promoting the community’s vision for sustainable preservation by guiding appropriate stewardship of historic resources and compatible redevelopment in locally-designated historic districts. For details, please refer to the "Design Standards for Historic Properties."
- Boards & Commissions - Staffing the Landmark Commission, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and various committees. Meeting agendas and staff reports are available on Agenda Center.
At this time, pre-development meetings take place via conference call every other Wednesday at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00AM. At the meeting, you will be provided general information regarding the City of Galveston’s development process, contact information, applicable codes, applications, and fees. To schedule a meeting, please send a meeting request form, business plan, and list of preliminary questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the map below to find out what a property is zoned. The "Land Development Regulations" are linked below. Article 2 includes a table of permitted land uses, and Article 3 contains more information about each zoning district.
View full-screen map