Frequently Asked Questions

Land Use Planning

Q: What does LDR mean?
A: The LDR's (i.e. Land Development Regulations) establish specific standards for all development and redevelopment proposals. Ultimately, this document acts as a checklist to guide responsible development.

Q: What are bulk regulations and why are they necessary?
A: Bulk regulations are a combination of land use controls, which include: lot standards, setbacks, building height, parking, landscaping, and more. Bulk regulations vary depending on the zoning district.

Q: Where are my property lines?
A: There are two ways to locate your property lines. The first requires a metal detector and patience. If you property was recently platted (within the past 30 years) use the metal detector to find the property pins. On the other hand, hiring a Land Surveyor can be more accurate. These professionals analyze points, angles, and distances to precisely locate the property lines.

Q: What is a site plan?
A: The purpose of a site plan is to illustrate the scope of a project. For example: if you want to build a shed in the backyard you must submit a site plan that shows where the work is going to be done. More importantly, the plan must show the dimensions between the property line(s) and the proposed structure.

Zoning Districts/Classification

Q: Where can I find my zoning district designation?
A: Zoning maps are available electronically under the "Maps & GIS" tab to the left

Q: Can a short-term rental operate in my neighborhood?
A: Article 2 in the Land Development Regulations provides information to help determine if specific land uses (such as short-term rentals) are permitted or prohibited within your district. Currently, short-term rentals are allowed in every district on the island with the exception being R-0.

Q: Can properties be rezoned?
A: Yes. Applications to do so can be found by clicking the "Applications & Fees" tab. These requests must be reviewed by the Planning Commission as well as City Council.