Bicycling Galveston Island
Bicycling Galveston Island has so many advantages. Not only are we expanding our system and adding new bike lanes with each major street reconstruction, we have also outfitted our transit buses with bicycle platforms and added additional bicycle racks in numerous places throughout the City. Below is a video discussing the benefits and challenges of biking Galveston Island, and a few tips for riders before the hit the road!
Current Bike Network Map:
Download the printable map here.
With expansions to the bicycle network, both planned and under construction, now is a perfect time for Galvestonians to embrace the sport. “The new additions to the bike system on the island will make cycling in Galveston even more enjoyable,” said the City’s new Director of Development Services Tim Tietjens, “As an experienced rider who has been recently introduced to the existing bike network on the island, I hope that Galvestonians can see the treasure that lies before them and take the opportunity to get out and enjoy it.”
The video above features tips for riders specific to Galveston and safety reminder for all cyclists. Additionally, the following are tips that will help you enjoy biking on the island safely:
- Have your bike checked over by your local bike shop
- Wear lights, making sure you can be seen when riding at night is of utmost importance to both you and drivers
- Always wear a helmet to protect your head in the event of a crash
- Ride in the right-most lane that goes in the direction that you are traveling
- Obey all stop signs, traffic, and lights and lane markings
- Look before you change lanes or signal a turn; indicate your intention, then act
- Be visible and predictable at all times; wear bright clothing and signal turns