Disaster Assistance

Disaster Assistance

My home was damaged by Harvey

Depending on the kind of damage your home has and where you live, you may need to file more than one insurance claim. If you need information, have a complaint, or can't locate your agent or company, call our Consumer Help Line at 1-800-252-3439. 

If you have a windstorm policy

If you have a policy with the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association, report those claims at 1-800-788-8247 or 1-877-281-1431.

You have one year from the date of damage to file a windstorm claim.

If you have flood insurance

Flood claims must be filed within 60 days so make sure to notify your flood insurer right away to begin the claims process.

  • Visit the National Flood Insurance Program for information about how to file a claim.
  • Document the damage.
  • Complete a proof of loss statement to support your claim. You must file this within 60 days of the flood damage.

Homeowners claims

Homeowners insurance policies generally don't cover flood damage, but you still may want to file a claim if your home was damaged. Deadlines for filing claims vary by policy, but it’s a good idea to notify your agent or company as soon as you’re aware of damage. Some have deadlines of one year, and others require you to notify them of water damage much sooner.

Your homeowners policy may cover:

  • Roof damage from a tree hitting your home during the storm.
  • Water damage from rain entering your home if the roof was damaged in the storm.
  • Damage to fences caused by high winds.
  • Spoilage of refrigerated food due to a power outage caused by the storm.
  • Additional living expenses to cover hotels, food, and other expenses if you were ordered to evacuate.

If you have uninsured losses

There are resources that can help you:

  • Apply at DisasterAssistance.gov to find out if you can get help from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency).
  • Homeowners, renters, and small businesses may be eligible for a disaster loan program through the U.S. Small Business Administration.
  • Some mobile home insurance policies provide coverage for flood damage while others do not. Check the language in your policy or ask your agent.
  • For immediate food and shelter needs, contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767.

See also:

  • How do I file a homeowners claim? We walk you through the process, including deadlines and what to do if you disagree with your insurance company’s estimate.
  • My car was flooded: Answers to common questions if your car is flooded.
  • House Bill 1774: The legislation does not change how you file a claim or how your insurer will process your claim.


Residents with damage need to register with FEMA at Disaster Assistance or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA.

Within hours, they could have approval that will allow our residents to book a hotel using their voucher. 

Before calling, residents must have the following available:

  • Address with zip code
  • Directions to the property
  • Condition of damaged home
  • Insurance information, if available
  • Social Security Number
  • Phone number where you can be contacted
  • Address where you can get mail

When you register, you will be given a FEMA registration number. You will need this number whenever you contact FEMA.

Also, residents who have storm damage need to report it on our website at Storm Damage or call it in to our Emergency Operations Center at 409-765-3710.

Reporting storm damage to your local municipalities is important in later getting federal funding and assistance for our City and our residents.