A Temporary License to Use (TLTU) application may be obtained from the Department of Engineering, located at 3015 Market Street, or by emailing a completed application and supporting documents to email@example.com. Please submit your completed application at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance of the anticipated date. Before submission, please review the application and discuss your project with City Staff to determine actual fees. Note that partial applications will not be accepted.
Permits are issued for a duration of 60 days and can be extended. The maximum length of a TLTU is 120 days. If a longer period is needed, a permanent LTU must be requested from the Planning Division.
A comprehensive by several city departments, including Public Works, Engineering, the Police Chief, Fire Marshall, Sanitation, and Island Transit, is required. City departments consider various factors when reviewing TLTU applications and site plans within the city's right-of-way. For example, if a dumpster is too large and would block an alleyway, the Fire Department may object, leading to a denial of the TLTU request. Objections from any of the City Department will automatically result in questing being denied. Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Some of our streets are state highways, and approval from TXDOT is required to block them. These streets are Broadway, Harborside, Ferry Road, FM 3005 (San Luis Pass), 61st Street, Teichman Road between 89th and Broadway and a portion of the Seawall between Broadway and Ferry Road.
Please note the following:
- No alcohol is allowed on the City Right-of-Way (R.O.W.).
- Blow-up amusements are not permitted on the street due to safety concerns for fire and police.
- Blocking of the Strand requires signatures from affected owners.
- Events with seventy-five (75) or more people are considered a "Special Event."
- Fees are $5.00 per day, $10 application fee, and $45 starting fee for traffic. A $100 charge for Island Transit may be applied if the trolley will be affected by the request.
Should you need further information, please feel free to contact the Department of Engineering at Engineering@GalvestonTX.Gov or call 409-797-3644.
Sec. 32-10. - Construction, repair, maintenance of streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, driveways, culverts
(a) All construction, repair and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, driveways, or culverts, or all construction, repair and maintenance in or under streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, driveways, or culverts shall be done in conformity with standard specifications on file in the office of the city engineer.
(b) The property owner shall provide pipe and joint sealer to the city for setting driveway culverts. The city shall provide the labor and equipment for setting driveway culverts. The property owner shall pay the city three dollars and fifty cents ($3.50) per linear foot for the city's expense in providing labor and equipment.
How to obtain a Handicap Parking Zone Sign
- The applicant must bring in the Handicap Placard or the vehicle registration showing issued handicap plates for the individual requesting the Handicap Parking Zone.
- A valid Texas Driver's License or Texas I.D. with the address matching the location where the Handicap Parking Zone is to be placed by the City.
- The applicant will need to pay a $50.00 fee for the installation on the zone.
- The installation of the zone should be installed approximately within 5 to 10 business days depending on the weather or other unforeseen reasons.
Street cut forms are required when the street has been cut out for work during construction. Streets Division will oversee the repairs made by the contractors. Contractors shall have an approved Utility Right of Way permit with Engineering prior to start of construction.
Pool permits are issued through Development Services. A review by the Engineering Department for all residential swimming pools is required. Please review the document below which outlines all of the necessary requirements needed from the applicant before engineering review is approved. Additional requirements from Development Services for pool permits shall be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sec. 31-281. - Registration and construction permits can be found here Version OptionsApplicationsHeadline
Sec. 31-302. - Applicable fees and rental rates to the city can be found here Version OptionsApplicationsHeadline