Utility Right-of-Way (UROW) 

  1. Temporary License to Use (TLTU)
  2. Road Closure
  3. Right-of-Way Construction Application

TLTU Application Form

Application Process: 

A Temporary License to Use (TLTU) application may be obtained from the Department of Engineering, located at 3015 Market Street, or by emailing a completed application and supporting documents to Please submit your completed application at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance of the anticipated date. Before submission, please review the application and discuss your project with City Staff to determine actual fees. Note that partial applications will not be accepted.  

Permits are issued for a duration of 60 days and can be extended. The maximum length of a TLTU is 120 days. If a longer period is needed, a permanent LTU must be requested from the Planning Division

A comprehensive by several city departments, including Public Works, Engineering, the Police Chief, Fire Marshall, Sanitation, and Island Transit, is required.  City departments consider various factors when reviewing TLTU applications and site plans within the city's right-of-way. For example, if a dumpster is too large and would block an alleyway, the Fire Department may object, leading to a denial of the TLTU request. Objections from any of the City Department will automatically result in questing being denied. Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. 

Some of our streets are state highways, and approval from TXDOT is required to block them. These streets are Broadway, Harborside, Ferry Road, FM 3005 (San Luis Pass), 61st Street, Teichman Road between 89th and Broadway and a portion of the Seawall between Broadway and Ferry Road.

Please note the following:

  • No alcohol is allowed on the City Right-of-Way (R.O.W.).
  • Blow-up amusements are not permitted on the street due to safety concerns for fire and police. 
  • Blocking of the Strand requires signatures from affected owners. 
  • Events with seventy-five (75) or more people are considered a "Special Event."

Application Fees: 

  • Fees are $5.00 per day, $10 application fee, and $45 starting fee for traffic. A $100 charge for Island Transit may be applied if the trolley will be affected by the request.

Should you need further information, please feel free to contact the Department of Engineering at Engineering@GalvestonTX.Gov or call 409-797-3644.

  1. Handicap Parking Zone
  2. Street Cuts
  3. Residential Swimming Pools

How to obtain a Handicap Parking Zone Sign

  1. The applicant must bring in the Handicap Placard or the vehicle registration showing issued handicap plates for the individual requesting the Handicap Parking Zone.
  2. A valid Texas Driver's License or Texas I.D. with the address matching the location where the Handicap Parking Zone is to be placed by the City.
  3. The applicant will need to pay a $50.00 fee for the installation on the zone. 
  4. The installation of the zone should be installed approximately within 5 to 10 business days depending on the weather or other unforeseen reasons.


Sec. 31-281. - Registration and construction permits can be found here 


Sec. 31-302. - Applicable fees and rental rates to the city can be found here