Declaration of a quorum and call meeting to order
Consider for approval minutes of the August 11, 2020 meeting.
Public comments (limited to three minutes each)
Brief introduction of each committee member, background and why you wanted to serve
A clear statement of what the city would like from our committee in writing
Re-examine customer education efforts. Determine more effective ways to communicate changes to the recycling program
Review the goals and expectations of the Citizens of Galveston that were associated with the approval of fees for recycling
o Evaluate how the goals of recycling were defined and how they are stewarded
o Assess if the expectations and goals that underpinned funding are being met
If the mission and expectations for recycling today should be different than in the past; define that mission
Define success for recycling. How should success be defined and the metrics that can be measured and stewarded
Evaluate if the value (not just Dollars) of recycling is reasonably balanced with cost
Review the stewardship process (should a Board be formed?) (additional clarification from Paul)
Understand and communicate safety issues; especially those associated with hazardous materials handling
Define possible opportunities for enhancement and/or cost reduction; work through each material class, including those not currently accepted at the recycling center
Identify trends in recycling and possible responses to those trends. This includes an explanation of a general decrease in tonnage year to year.
Develop an integrated set of recommendations in a report to the City Council
Work toward Galveston becoming a zero waste community
Questions for Staff
1. How much garbage is collected from the beaches? Does it all go to the landfill? the city pays? Improve the recycling bins on the beaches? Perhaps, if we could redirect those cans and bottles, we might save more on landfill costs.
2. What is the city’s vision on recycling, the city’s sense of potential?
3. City is understandable focused on process and finances, but why is it important to provide this service to Galvestonians?
4. Communicate and discuss the impact of constraints; such as limitations on using contractors, and if beneficial, how to remove those constraints.
5. Have more detailed discussion regarding the recycling process, including the role and issues with a transfer station and vendor capabilities.
Request agenda items for future meetings