Declaration of a quorum and call meeting to order
Consider for Approval Minutes of the November 10, 2020 and November 24, 2020 meetings
Public comments (limited to three minutes each)
Presentation of the Park Board Recycling Program
Goals and expectations from Citizens of Galveston (from 3-4 years ago). Document updates from Cindy.
Opportunity to tour the recycle center- schedule a date during a future meeting.
The recycle committee would like the following to help understand the scale of waste generated by Galveston and the effectiveness of the recycling program over the past year.
An annual total or a monthly average over a year (If Staff has other suggestions, please convey them):
• Tonnage (or other measure) of waste through the Transfer Station from the City and the Park Board (separate values).
• Tonnage (or other measure) of materials moved through the Recycling Center; in total and by category
• Tonnage (or other measure) of materials actually recycled or repurposed; in total and by category
• Revenue from recycling or repurposing activities, in total and by category
Requests for city staff:
a) Copy of contract with BFI
b) Different contracts with commodity collectors
c) Information from city auditor on process flow diagrams or descriptions of an overall flow on how the recycle center works
d) List of current rates and tonnage information
e) Detailed budget for recycle center
Updates from Scott and Cindy
a) Define success for recycling and metrics that may be used to measure success
b) Value of recycling (goals)
1. Define city’s mission for recycling and vision for the future
2. % of tonnage of our waste being diverted from landfill
3. Value of recycling, not in dollar terms
4. Identify trends in recycling
5. Constraints: limitations on using contractors and how to remove these constraints
Request agenda items for future meetings