Galveston, TX – May 13, 2020 – The City of Galveston will reopen the McGuire Dent Recreation Center for adult fitness beginning Monday, May 18 as part of the state’s gradual reopening plan. The fitness center will be open to adults on weekdays (Monday-Friday) from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Out of an abundance of caution, the recreation center will be open to adults only by reservation and is limiting its offerings to fitness equipment and cardio programs. To reserve, please call 409-797-3700 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The fitness center has been closed since March because of concerns about the spread of Coronavirus. During that time, staff have completed work on the building and also done a deep cleaning of equipment and the facility. These safety measures will continue as the fitness center reopens and recreation center staff will do all they can to ensure the health and safety of the public. When you visit the gym, remember to safely social distance.
Annual membership for residents between the ages of 18 and 64 is $25. The center is free to seniors 65 or older.
Important Safety Measures:
- Self-screen before coming to the recreation center for any signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19
- Do not visit the recreation center if any signs or symptoms are present
- Maintain at least 6ft. of separation (pavement is marked) from other individuals while waiting to enter the recreation center
- Your temperature will be checked at the front desk by use of a Touch Free Infrared Thermometer. If your temperature is above 100.0 degree Fahrenheit you will not be allowed to work out and must leave the facility.
- No one under the age of 18 will be allowed to enter the recreation center
- The recreation centers water fountains will be closed; therefore you will need to bring your own water or you may purchase a water at our vending machine.
- By appointment only – call 409-797-3700 Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm
- Recreation Center Business Hours – 6am to 6pm Monday -Friday
- Reservation/workout times start at the top of the hour
- Workout time ends at 50 minutes past each hour
- No workout time adjustments for late show-ups, and a missed appointment will result in the cancellation of the next scheduled appointment
- All customers must exit the facility at or before 55 minutes past the hour
- No more than three (3) advance reservations per customer per week; however same day reservations are permitted if available.
- Schedule reservations no more than ten (10) business days in advance