During the holiday season, the island continually looks for unique ways to encourage visitation during what is typically a slow time of the year. As an opportunity to annually engage with the artist community in Galveston, the Historic Downtown Galveston Partnership has designed a new program to do just that: the Holiday Artist Trees.
This year, the Partnership will team up with the Galveston Park Board and the City of Galveston’s Cultural Arts Commission to seek proposals for this new program. Interested artists will be invited to submit an application through the Cultural Arts Commission. The application will include design renderings or sketches to illustrate the artist’s concept. Eight (8) artists will be selected by the Commission. Each selected Artist will receive a $1,000.00 honorarium from the Cultural Arts Commission. The Historic Downtown Galveston Partnership and the Galveston Park Board will sponsor/supply fresh-cut trees for decorating, as well as a $200.00 cash contribution presented to each artist to help cover expenses tied to supplies. Projects must be completed and ready for installation by November 26, 2021 at 12:00 PM. Projects will remain on exhibit from November 26, 2021 until January 1, 2022 and the top three (3) vote receivers will be awarded prizes.
2021 Project Details:
- 8 Trees (8 Artists will be selected)
- The theme for 2021 will be “Birds”, celebrating Galveston’s national designation of “Bird City USA”
- Installation Date will be November 26, 2021 by 12:00 PM at Saengerfest Park (23rd & Strand). Trees will be presented to the public for the first time that evening during the Tree Lighting Ceremony, and each artist will be presented their Honorarium at this time.
- On November 27, 2021, the trees will be moved to the Galveston Railroad Museum (2602 Santa Fe Place) for the remaining run of the exhibit (through January 1, 2022), positioning them in a secure location which that will offer free access to residents and visitors alike.
- The public will be invited to vote for their favorite Artist Tree via paper ballot during the Tree Lighting Ceremony or via the Holiday Tree Decorating Contest voting platform. The top three winning Artists will receive a prize award sponsored by the Galveston Park Board with 1st place being awarded $750.00, 2nd place $500.00, and 3rd place $250.00. That prize money will be awarded at the close of the calendar year in tandem with the business competition.
How do I Apply?
Please email all materials listed to CulturalArts@GalvestonTX.gov in a single PDF format:
- Application Form
- Design renderings or sketches to illustrate the artist’s concept
- Previous work samples (5-10 images)
The deadline to submit an application is Sunday, October 10 at 11:59 p.m.