With the weather warming up and spring break underway, we've received a lot of questions about where people can drive golf carts. Here are a few points to address the main questions we've received, but please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions about these regulations.
- Golf carts are allowed on any non-state highway that has a speed limit of 35 mph or less
- Golf cart drivers must follow all traffic safety laws
- Golf carts must be equipped with lights, seat belts and signals, per state law
- Galveston Police Department enforces these laws
- Most regulations related to golf cart use are state law, not local ordinance
- Drivers cannot operate golf carts west of 61st on Seawall, on Broadway (other than to cross), or Harborside or Ferry Road or any other road with speed limits above 35mph
*As a note, Seawall is a county road between 6th and 61st streets. East of 6th St. and west of 61st St., it's a state highway.