Galveston, TX – October 28, 2019 – The annual Lone Star Rally returns to the island this week with a line-up of events. The four-day motorcycle rally will take place Thursday to Sunday, Oct -31-Nov 3.
The rally is concentrated in historic downtown and Seawall Boulevard, where there are concerts, exhibits and vendors for people to enjoy. This event often attracts more than 500,000 visitors to the island and contributes more than $115 million to the local economy.
There will be road closures during the four-day rally so we want residents and visitors to be prepared for those changes. The City’s trolley service will be running its regular routes on extended hours and run an ongoing charter route between downtown and the Seawall during the festival’s busiest hours.
Lone Star Rally festivities will be concentrated in Galveston’s historic downtown and Seawall Boulevard.
- Seawall Boulevard will be subject to traffic closures from 19th Street to 25th Street beginning Wednesday, Oct. 30 at 8:30 a.m. eastbound traffic will remain open during the rally dates to vehicles and motorcycles. Westbound traffic will be routed north down 19th Street to Avenue O, west to 25th Street and south to Seawall Boulevard.
- Some of the streets downtown will be closed to vehicle traffic. 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th streets between Mechanic Street and Harborside will be closed for vendor setup beginning Tuesday, Oct. 29th.
- The Strand from 18th Street to 25th Street will be open to bike traffic only during the event.
- All streets will re-open following the close of the rally Sunday night, November 3.
Changes to City services:
Beginning Thursday, Oct 31st, the Galveston Trolley will offer a special event route designed for the Lone Star Rally to connect event-goers from downtown activities to the Seawall. From 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday to Saturday, there will be trolley service running along 25th Street. The pickup and drop-off points are at 25th and Postoffice and 25th and Seawall. The trolley bus will be free and will run every 30 to 40 minutes. Lone Star Rally encourages “Don’t Drink & Ride.”
Beginning Thursday through Saturday, the regular trolley will operate its regular fixed routes from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., though riders should anticipate some delays with the increased traffic on the island. The cost is $1 per rider. For more information, please visit www.galvestontrolley.com.
Share the Road:
With more than 250,000 motorcycles expected to arrive in Galveston, the local police department, the Texas Department of Public Safety and other law enforcement agencies will be working to ensure the safety of all motorists. Here are some tips for sharing the road:
- Always check your blind spots before merging or changing lanes.
- Use caution when passing and always use signals.
- Allow for more distance between vehicles and motorcycles.
- Increase awareness at intersections.
- Don’t text and drive.
- Don’t drink and drive.
Unified Command Center:
Galveston Police Department’s Unified Command Center will be set-up at the downtown transit building to address safety throughout the Lone Star Rally entertainment district.
Overnight camping and parking:
Overnight camping is not permitted at any public beach except Galveston Island State Park. Parking along Seawall Boulevard is also prohibited from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. daily.
Seawall paid parking
From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily, it costs $1 an hour or $8 per day to park on Seawall Boulevard between 6th and 69th streets and 81st and 103rd streets. To pay by phone, visit www.paybyphone.com or download the app. Number is 866-234-7275. Visitors may pay with cash at Island Bicycle (1808 Seawall Blvd.), Ohana Surf and Sake (2814 Avenue R1/2) and the 61st Street Fishing Pier (6101 Seawall Blvd.)
For more information:
To learn more about the Lone Star Rally, visit their website at www.lonestarrally.com or call the office at 832-437-2318.