The Silk Stocking local historic district was created in 1975, with 25th Street, or Rosenberg, as the core thoroughfare. The neighborhood is one of the most intact residential areas in the city from the late 19th and early 20th century. It is also a National Register Historic District. The name of the district refers to the wealth of the early residents – that they could afford to buy silk stockings.
Silk Stocking was originally developed in the early 1870s as a mix of single-family houses, a small corner store, large vacant blocks and industrial sites. Until the 1890s, the core of the Silk Stocking District was occupied by the Texas Cotton Press. After the Texas Press went bankrupt and was demolished, the area was subdivided and the lots sold at auction in 1898. It is now one of the most intact residential areas in the city from the late 19th and early 20th century.